Thursday 11 August 2016

A new first for the garden

July was quiet in the garden, we were away for a bit and the nesting birds slowly disappeared. I thought we had seen the last of this year's fledglings but just happened to glance out of the window the other morning to see a male green woodpecker and a young one feeding off the ants in the grass. I have to admit I looked twice, I've never seen a green woodpecker around the gardens or in the scrubland at the back. The parents split up when the young leave the nest and share the duties. This youngster was having a go at catching the ants but dad was still feeding. They stopped for a few minutes and I was able to grab some shots (laying on the kitchen floor and shooting through the conservatory door!) before they took flight. I haven't seen them since but fantastic to know they must have been nesting nearby.









No comments:

Post a Comment