Sunday 30 August 2015

Spotted flycatcher

As we walked around our local meadow yesterday afternoon I spotted a bird up high on a branch that I didn't recognise straight away. We were a good few meters away but my little Lumix camera has a great zoom so I grabbed a few shots before it flew away. From a distance it made me think of a swift or a house martin but when it flew off I could see it wasn't either of those. Once I uploaded the photo I checked out the RSPB species identifier but nothing was coming up that matched so I trawled some google images until I found something similar and, after double-checking back on the RSPB site, I have decided it was a spotted flycatcher. If you look closely at the photo you can see it has lived up to its name.

Spotted flycatcher, Cambridgeshire, UK

Spotted flycatchers are on the RSPB red status list and it was a new spot for me so chuffed I managed  a photo too! They arrive in the UK during late April and early May and will be off again in September so I shall try and remember to watch out for them at this spot next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment